Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Gabba yearning

Today while watching "Yo Gabba Gabba" with my sweet 3 year old, it hit me: a yearning.

No, it was not for DJ Lance Rock.  Although I am sure some women find spindly-limbed black men with fuzzy orange hats appealing.

It was a yearning for a world I do not live in.

See, on Yo Gabba Gabba, as on all preschool shows, gentleness reigns.  So does cooperation, kindness, fun, optimism, courtesy, and lots of singing and dancing.  On top of that, problems will simply and assuredly be solved by the end of the 23 minute program.

Utopia.

As I watched the characters on YGG  respond to each other with enthusiasm that only comes from never experiencing pain, I pondered.  When will my daughter discover that some people are unkind?  Even cruel?  My heart shudders at the thought. 

And then I thought of my own natural friendliness, which I have toned down over the years in an effort to avoid cold responses.

I yearn, I long for a world like Gabba Land.  For an optimistic, gentle world.  I will take Blue's Clue's, Angelina Ballerina, Sesame Street, Thomas, Dora, Diego, the Backyardigans, and yes, I will even take Barney.  Just feed me with kindness!

It takes just a short while for preschool gentility to fade away.  TV shows and movies for the elementary school set, from what I have observed, are full of snarky & sassy talk, bullying, and adults portrayed as buffoons.  How quickly the emphasis of innocent enthusiasm, consideration for others, and gentleness evaporates!

Some would say that's preparation for "real world".

I don't want the real world. I endure it because I must, but I yearn for something purer. 

Someday, which will be the day I see my Daddy again, I will know the fullness of purity.  But until then, I will not stifle my yearning.  I will cherish every glimpse of kindness, gentleness, enthusiasm, respect, and happiness that I find.

Even if it comes from Yo Gabba Gabba.

No comments:

Post a Comment