Thursday, May 3, 2012

Detours

When I was five, my life's goal was to become a florist.  When I was 12, I announced to one of my best friends that I was going to marry a certain young man named Steve.  When I was 15, I realized I knew everything and told my sister this news.  When I was 16, I decided to get a guitar and become super skilled at playing it.  When I was 18, I decided to become a counselor.  When I was 22, I decided to become an actress.  When I was 24, I announced to my family that I had the spiritual call of life long singleness.  When I was 28, I decided to be a counselor.  Again.  When I was 30, my womb started crying out, and I decided I needed 2 babies, a boy and a girl, spaced exactly 2 years apart.

Those were my decisions. 

Here are the outcomes:

I never, ever worked in the floral industry.  The friend I told about my future marriage to Steve was the one who actually married Steve.  I officially do not know everything, or even close. (Although I do know the chorus to "Gold Digger" by Kanye West, and yes, I can rap it for you.)  I got a guitar and ended up selling it without ever skillfully playing it.  I became a counselor.  I became an actress.  I started dating Scott several months after the big singleness announcement.  I had just one baby, and she is now 3 and sibling-less.

Detours.

The point is this: I make plans.  Which is fine.  But God, the great and good in-charge One, can override my plans.  And sometimes His ideas are better, ya know?

He's a gentleman, I believe.  He gives me free will to make choices, and I try to make
decent ones.  But ultimately, just like that road crew on rt. 23 in Leola that extended my work commute today, He can decide if my chosen path needs a detour.

 His detours are often quite scenic.

No comments:

Post a Comment